Pages


Friday, August 20, 2010

Buenos Dias, Two Tamales Por Favor


The other day on my way to work, I cut down 39th instead of 38th, and to my surprise walked right past the Mexican Consulate.  You're probably wondering what the big deal is.  A bunch of people standing outside speaking Spanish and trying to fix issues with their visas and green cards....
If that's the case, you clearly haven't passed by the Consulado around 9 am.  Low and behold a little woman standing out front selling tamales from a trash bag.  Gross?  Dirty?  I think not.  Incredible?  Most definitely.  These bundles of goodness wrapped up in corn husks are the real deal.  Stuffed with chicken (I think that's all she has), these tamales are moist, mildly spicy and absolutely delicious (Oh, and cheap!  Only $3 for two).  I think I've found my new "go to" breakfast spot.  Viva Mexico!

1 comment:

  1. Que delicioso! I'm going to have to go out of my way to get to work! In Austin, people meet in dark alleys to buy "illegal" tamales and in San Antonio, tamales are in the yellow pages and people wait in long lines to buy them.

    ReplyDelete