Pages


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

This Little Piggy Has a New Favorite Spot

I decided I would start the week off with a bang.  I met up with a good friend so we could swing by the friends and family opening of Cienfuegos, a "secret rum bar in the EV" (posted on Urban Daddy yesterday).  Upon entering Carteles, the small sandwich shop at the front, we were led up a staircase in the back and entered a medium sized dining room.  While food does not seem to be of much concern here, the cocktail list is quite extensive.  All of the drinks are "punches" and can be ordered by the glass or in various sizes of bowls.  We enjoyed the the $30 punch bowl of some concoction with the word "Mischief" in it (as opposed to the $60 and $100 options).  It was alright, probably not as good as some of the punch bowls I've had at their sister cocktail dens, Death & Co. and Bourgeois Pig, but still light and refreshing.  In the next couple of months I bet this places will become extremely popular, especially for Friday/Saturday night birthday parties, bachelorette parties, and groups of loud girls who want a night out.

But... all in all, I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.  I mean, I thought the space was great.  The decor was nice, especially the tiles that adorn the ceiling above the upstairs bar.  Unfortunately, however, I think they will likely be so focused on the drinks that the food will probably always take a back seat.  But, hey! I didn't try the food so I may be entirely wrong. 

It's worth the trip though, and I am sure I will go back in the near future to try the food and another punch bowl.  At the end of the day, I am fairly certain the place will be a huge hit, at least at the beginning, and people will probably call me crazy, but oh well!

That was not the bang of the night, however.  We then headed down to Chinatown for additional cocktails and some live jazz.  This is where I truly thank my friend for such a wonderful evening.  He brought me to Apotheke, which I had heard of but never visited.  This is by far my new favorite spot in NYC, and even better, it is located near my apartment.  I was told the weekends tend to be different there than the weekdays, so I will probably stick to Monday and Tuesday nights when they have live jazz.


Also of great importance were their cocktails.  They were unbelievable.  I told the barkeep that I liked everything except tequila, and he threw some things together creating an insanely delicious spicy, salty beverage.  Did I say how amazing it was?!  Ok, just checking, but really, it was that good.  Anyways, it was a fabulous way to end the evening and an even better way to start the week.  Great music, excellent cocktails and a wonderful friend!  What more can you ask for?!  Oink oink!

No comments:

Post a Comment