Pages


Thursday, April 22, 2010

This Little Piggy likes Pacific Northwest Wines

During a vacation to the Pacific Northwest last October, I had the opportunity to go wine tasting at some excellent vineyards in the Willamette Valley in Oregon.  I had never had a Pinot Blanc before, and the one I tried at Four Graces was incredible.  I quickly fell in love with the amazing wines the region was producing.

I was really excited to hear that the Down Town Association would be hosting a wine tasting focused on the Pacific Northwest.  It was a great event and while I didn't try all eight of the featured wines, I tried some I really enjoyed and others I cared less for.  I found the Adelsheim Pinot Gris (2007) to be a very refreshing white.  It had a medium dryness with a higher degree of acidity.  It smelled of fruits, mainly citrus, rather than berry, and was medium bodied. 

I was slightly less impressed with the L'Ecole No. 41 Chenin Blanc (2009) from Washington, though I believe they may have been serving it too cold and this may have affected its flavor.  Lastly, I was not nearly as impressed with the WillaKenzie Pinot Noir (2007), also from Oregon.  The region is known for producing excellent Pinots and I thought this probably would have stood out to me, but alas, it didn't.  I did, however, enjoy the Mission Hill Winery Oculus (2004) from British Columbia.  I am looking forward to trying more wines from Washington and Oregon and will report back accordingly.


Featured Wines

Whites

- Adelsheim Pinot Gris 2007, Oregon
- L'Ecole No. 41 Chenin Blanc 2009 (Columbia Valley), Washington
- Mission Hill Winery Chardonnay 2006, B.C.
- Snoqualmie Vineyards Riesling Naked 2008, Washington




Reds

- WillaKenzie Estate Pinot Noir 2007 (Willamette Valley), Oregon
- Ex Libris Cabernet Sauvignon 2007, Washington
- Chataeu Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington
- Mission Hill Winery Oculus 2005, B.C.

2 comments:

  1. I'm making a list of these reds - thanks for pointing them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! We will definitely have to try some of them soon!

    ReplyDelete