Pages


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

This Little Piggy (hearts) Goat Cheese

I love goat cheese.  Really, I do.  I think you could put goat cheese on anything and it would taste amazing.  You can eat it alone, on crackers, on bread, on an apple, on a salad, in pasta, on a steak, on a burger.... even a goat cheese cheesecake.  You can eat it for breakfast, a snack, for lunch, dinner, or dessert.  I really think it is one of the most delicious things ever

If my memory serves me right, one of my first encounters with the delicious chèvre was at Montana's, a fabulous restaurant in Hillcrest, CA that closed sometime back in the 90s, likely because it was too good to be located in San Diego.  They use to have an incredibly simple hors d'œuvre of toast, goat cheese and roasted garlic.  It would make you smell for days, though it was definitely worth the friends you may have lost due to the aroma.  It has been at least 12 years since I've enjoyed it and I figured with my new year's resolution to cook more and all, this would be an opportune time to give it a shot.  It went remarkably well, especially for an amateur. 


Here is the skinny on how to make these delectable toasts with goat cheese and roasted garlic:

- Take a garlic, or two, or three... Cut a thin slice off the top off, as to reveal the magical treasures (also known as "cloves") inside.  Take a piece of aluminum foil (one per garlic), place the garlic on the foil and drizzle with olive oil, scrunch up the top of the foil.  Bake at 350-400 degrees for 40 minutes to an hour.  Remove.

-  Cut a baguette into slices and broil at 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes, or until toasty.  Remove.

- Spread goat cheese on toasts, arrange on plate along with garlics and a knife for spreading.

et Voilà!  The easiest, most delicious appetizer around.  Oink oink!

No comments:

Post a Comment