Pages


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Brunch @ Back Forty with EWI


I started off 2010 with a bang, joining my supper club, Eating with Impunity (EWI), at Back Forty (Ave. B at E. 12th Street) for brunch. Nine of us met up at noon last Saturday and were pleased to get a large, family-style, cozy table in the front window.  I had been for brunch before and loved it, so I quickly seized the opportunity to give it another try.  Given the size of the large group, we were able to try a number of different things from the menu.  Here is a run down, along with a couple pictures, of what we tried:

-  The fresh donuts are a must (!), so we got two orders (I could have sworn last time they came with jam, though they were tasty with the glaze alone).

-  The pork jowl nuggets with jalapeno relish are also delicious (beware: there are only 3 to an order and they're bite-size fried morsels of goodness! We went with 3 orders).

- I shared the Housemade German Sausage and Fried Eggs with creamy grits, greens & mustard sauce (I thought it was excellent, as did Felicia, who thought it tasted very similar to corned beef).

Among the other things that were ordered (and shared on small plates, we're a very close group) were: sweet potato pancakes (no need to order these, they are nothing like potato pancakes, which is why we got them), fried chicken and waffles, the grass fed burger, the blintzes with housemade farmer cheese, and... the poached eggs & baby green wheat with roasted wild mushrooms, squash, cippolini onions & toast (this was by far my favorite, I was pleasantly surprised by the texture and amazing flavor found in the baby green wheat.  I will definitely be getting this next time!)

Other hilights, besides the wonderful company: the Hot Spike Apple Cider was just what I needed to wake me up and keep me warm while the snow came down outside.

I thought this was a great restaurant before last Saturday and my new year's brunch only solidified those sentiments.  The atmosphere is comfortable and non-pretentious and the food is excellent (particularly for the price).  This will definitely be a staple brunch local for 2010!

ps.  Check out an excellent review of this brunch at babeswhobrunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment