Pages


Monday, December 21, 2009

This Little Piggy went to Lusso for Brunch


Lusso , a contemporary Italian restaurant located in SoHo, sits on the corner of W. Broadway and Grand in a modern, exposed brick space.  I had passed Lusso many times over the past few weeks on my walk home and was intrigued by their drink special brunch menu ($20 all you can drink with a brunch entree).  While the atmosphere is nice, cozy and offers a warm refuge to the snow outside, the food was less than delicious.

Tini and I thought it would be a great place to meet before finishing up our holiday shopping.  Although we opted out of the drink special, the coffee was good, and the bloody mary was decent.  The menu also looked appetizing, including brunch items like maple toast and steak and eggs, as well as salads and sandwiches.  I chose the eggs and polenta and Tini ordered the frittata with basil, goat cheese and potatoes.  I was hopeful about my choice, however, sadly disappointed.  The creamy polenta, which closely resembled cream of wheat, quickly became luke warm before I had hardly touched it.  Additionally, the poached eggs possessed a runny, white consistency, which I hate.  Personally, I find runny egg whites disgusting.  Fortunately, the bacon was nice and crispy, though nothing to write home about.


The frittata, on the other hand, was delicious, though I find goat cheese makes everything tasty.  The potatoes were mixed into the eggs and added a surprising texture, which I enjoyed.  Other than that, the meal was mediocre at best (clearly excluding my wonderful company).  The hi-light was definitely the decor and very much not the food.  Who knows, maybe the dinner menu is more impressive.  Unfortunately, I probably won't find out since I likely won't go back unless to grab a drink at the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment