Pages


Thursday, February 4, 2010

RBC = Really Bad Customer (Service)?

So a few weeks ago, I was really excited to learn that there was a new coffee shop down in Tribeca.  A.  I LOVE coffee, as you can see from my review on the fabulous Irving Farm Ethiopian Blend, and B. I live near Tribeca.  What a great combo.  Even better, I had read great things about their Vietnamese coffee on Serious Eats, Tasting Table, and reviews on Twitter.  The week RBC opened, I couldn't stop talking about it.  I was thrilled with the news and desperately tried to stop in the shop every night that week, though with no luck thanks to work.  Luckily, I was making a trip to the neighborhood Saturday morning to do a little shopping and so obviously I had to make this new coffee empire, which boasts a gazillion dollar (really, it's something like $16K) espresso machine, my first stop. 

Upon entering the RBC, which somehow I had trouble finding, I was sort of confused on what was going on.  The decor was nice, modern, minimalist, though the beautiful wood family style table and the fancy-shmancy "slayer" espresso machine easily took up 1/2 of the space.  At first I thought, "mmm... well I should get a cup of coffee", though was quickly reminded of this insane machine that would hopefully make the best espresso drink I've ever enjoyed. 

Let's just say that quote "Money doesn't buy class" applies to your latte as well.  I'm not saying it was bad, I mean after I waited 10 minutes for it (keep in mind, there were about 6 "baristas" doing something behind the bar, God knows what, because they weren't making my beverage. Actually, sorry to digress, but that's an interesting story:  the one person who seemed to be in charge actually told me, "sorry it will just be a few more minutes" right before pouring herself a cup of coffee, which she proceeded to sip in front of me). Anyway, I drank it, and it was pretty good, but one would think that a machine costing over $10,000 would be pumping out espresso laced with gold!

There was no gold, there was no Vietnamese delight, which along with about 1/2 of the items on the drink menu, is only available for the 2-4 customers who are able to fit in the "seating" area, and there certainly was no award for customer service.

There was, however, a hipster at the register who seemed upset by the fact that I had showered that morning and wasn't wearing a plaid shirt and some ironic sunglasses.

Given this was the first week RBC was open, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go back.  Hopefully next time the service will have improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment