Pages


Tuesday, December 8, 2009

This Little Piggy Goes to Brunch at BREAD

While trying to catch a matinee performance of the Nutcracker last Saturday on the LES, a friend (aka. Tini) and I decided to grab brunch beforehand. Neither of us had been to Bread, but I had walked by many times before and always thought it would be a nice place to try. Tini arrived shortly before me and was able to take shelter from the dismal weather at the quaint bar near the front of the restaurant. Upon my arrival, we were quickly seated... a pleasant surprise for 1:45 on a Saturday afternoon.

The menu was relatively simple, though not small, with only a handful of brunch options hidden on the back. I seriously considered trying the eggs benedict with prosciutto cotto, which also came with coffee and something else (I forget what), but Tini mentioned she had seen the tomato soup served to another table and that it looked tasty. Taking that into consideration, and that they're known for their bread, we both ordered the soup and 1/2 sandwich combo, an excellent deal for only $10 (the menu said $11).

We chose the tomato soup, as opposed to the soup du jour, and were slightly worried it would be a small cup and with the 1/2 sandwich we'd leave hungry (God forbid). Not to worry. The bowl of soup was larger than a regular bowl and had a delicious crostini on top with a sprinkle of parmesan (yum!). We also chose the same sandwich, the Prosciutto Di Parma with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes on ciabatta (I know, I know, we should've tried different things, but it looked so good). Additionally, the sandwich came with a small mixed greens salad. Everything was delicious! The prosciutto in my sandwich was excellent, as was the soup. The table next to us had ordered a salad and the Tortellini with butter and sage. They looked amazing as well! Given I do not live in the area, I am not sure when I will return, however, it is definitely worth the visit. Oink oink!

No comments:

Post a Comment